Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

TRIATHLON WEEK - MISCELLANEOUS WEDNESDAY POST

Only 3 days left for the Spring Wheel Sale - Ends March 15th Close of Business!  Don't miss out on some great deals for new wheels for the upcoming season.  Wondering what you could do with your old wheel set?  Make it a training set and that way your new wheel set will be for races only!

Also a reminder about our new shop hours:

We have new hours
Tom had been hearing from his customers that it was not always possible to get to the shop with his hours that he had been using since the shop opened.  So he listened to his customers and effective March 1st here is the new schedule (yes they are in effect now!)

Monday: 10-8
Tuesday: 10-8
Wednesday: 10-6
Thursday: 10-8
Friday: 10-6
Saturday: 10-6


Now that we have the reminders out of the way lets get down to Triathlon Business.  First up is a review of the Fizik Kurve Snake:

Fizik Kurve Snake Saddle Review 

We review Fizik’s latest performance saddle to see if it can topple the famous Arione.


Fizik have launched a whole new range of performance saddles named Kurve with three different designs that follow the same shapes as the Arione, Aliante, and Antares, renamed Snake, Bull, and Chameleon. The Snake’s dimensions are 297mm long and 134mm at the widest point and are the same as the Arione. Where it differs is the use of the one-piece Mobius rail. This aluminium rail loops around the outer edge of the saddle’s rear and connects up front much further forward than a standard saddle. The front fitting is supplied with two options, a soft and hard connector. This restricts or allows the saddle’s base to flex adding comfort from the actual hull, rather than extra padding. The hull is a thermoplastic composite with thinner sections at the sit bones and forward pressure points. The Kurve’s hull is unsupported through a larger section of the overall length. This allows the whole saddle to flex; think more hammock than traditional saddle. At 221g it’s heavier than the Arione CX but we would trade the extra 50g for the marked improvement in overall comfort.

Verdict

Reinvents the legendary Arione with a more comfortable ride.
Performance 5/5
Value 3/5
Overall 4/5

This review and training tips article were found on triradar.com.
 
Next up is the Top 5 Training Tips from British Triathlete Sharon Lewis sphere of influence:
 
Throughout my cycling career, I’ve been lucky enough to have had some great advice from some very knowledgeable and experienced people. For this feature I wanted to condense all of that advice into the most valuable points – the ones that have really made the most difference my performances. They’re as relevant to triathlon as they are to cycling, and I hope you’ll find them as useful as I did.

1. “Don’t be influenced by others, particularly in the lead-up to races”

Julian Winn, my coach in 2008:
During the Beijing Olympics, Julian found me training on the rollers, where I had been for nearly an hour. He told me to get off immediately. I usually only did roller sessions for 30 minutes but I was doing more because everyone else around me was. Julian emphasised the importance of sticking to your own schedule and not being influenced by what other people were doing. In the lead- up to a big event it is easy to over-train by panicking, when someone else is doing more intervals or longer hours. You can easily undo all your hard work and preparation by joining them instead of sticking to your own programme.

2. “Use energy drinks when training”


Ian Rodgers, sports scientist and my coach from 2012 to today:
I used to save energy drinks for race days only. Or at least that was until I started being coached by Ian “energy in = watts out” Rodgers. With an energy drink I noticed a huge improvement in my interval sessions compared to just having water and food. Now I only use water when going for an easy recovery ride.

3. “Tape notes on your handle bars”


Alex Ritz, Cervélo mechanic:
In the 2011 Giro Donne, I picked up my bike for the fourth stage and found a note on the handle bars saying “use your front brake”. Alex had noticed that my back brakes were worn but the front ones looked new. Now I often put notes on my handle bars, particularly at the end of stage races, telling me to eat and drink or even simply a smiley face to remind me that cycling really is great fun – even when it hurts.

4. “Attack when you feel bad”

Emma Pooley, World Time Trial Champion 2011:
During the Plouay World Cup in 2010, Emma was in a break with three other riders, but she attacked on a climb, got a gap and rode away. Emma said she was feeling terrible but attacking at that moment was perfect as everyone else was feeling awful too. She looked strong because she attacked and this show of strength cracked the others mentally and she rode on to win. In a triathlon, if you can drop an opponent on the run by putting in an extra spurt when you are under pressure, chances are you will leave them behind.

5. “Quality not Quantity”


All of my coaches:
In 2011 the director of my road team commented that I could ride forever but I wasn’t fast. In 2012, training with Ian Rodgers, we sought to address this. I increased the amount of high intensity sessions and decreased the volume of my training. It worked – I was faster. This is really great news for those who have to juggle training and a full-time job. You can be more efficient with your time but get better results on the bike.

We are open today if you would like to stop by and talk to us about a fitting, new bicycle, or some accessories for your bike.  Remember wheel sale is over at close of business on Friday.

Tom's Pro Bike Service
3687 Walden Avenue
Lancaster, New York 14086
T: (716) 651-9995
F: (716)651-0858

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment